JOIN ME TOMORROW TWO TIMES
• 7:30AM Live on FlagMornings, 93.5FM, 930AM and streaming live at http://www.Country935.com
• 9:30AM-10:30AM Coffee with Councilman Jeff Oravits, White Dove Coffee on 7th Ave.
City Council Work-Session 9/24/13
• Council Settled litigation arising from City enforcement of a state statute that prohibited loitering-to-beg. The State of Arizona has determined that the portion A.R.S. 13-2905 that prohibits loitering to beg is unconstitutional under the First Amendment. The City of Flagstaff agrees that it will no longer enforce that portion of the the statute and that it will not take any action in the future that interferes with a person peacefully begging in public areas.
• ITEM 4. SNOW REMOVAL
Council gave direction to staff to plow roads in December and January at 3 inches of snow or more. The previous Council had increased the threshold to 4 inches as well as reduce the snow removal budget by $140,000. Last winter was proof that this was a bad idea.
Since getting on Council I have pushed to increase the snow removal budget. This upcoming winter the budget will be increased by $100,000. I have also pushed for a smarter snow removal policy giving discretion to staff to remove snow at lower amounts as they see necessary. For example, 2 inches in November with forecast temperatures at 20 degrees should be removed to avoid ice build up on our streets versus 6 inches in March that may melt in a day and may not need to be plowed. Council agreed to give staff more discretion to adapt as needed.
• ITEM 5. IMMIGRATION RESOLUTION
After previous discussion regarding the Arizona Accord by the Council, Vice Mayor Evans and Councilmember Barotz drafted a resolution regarding the issue of immigration. The text of this resolution is at the bottom of this post. Please let me know your thoughts.
Despite some rumors you may have heard, and for the record, I have not taken a position on this resolution yet. I did suggest language be added that address border security but did not get the support for this amendment.
• ITEM 6 Water Section of Regional Plan:
I asked for a POLICY that encourages the development and transportation of a new water supply from outside the City limits to accommodate future growth. This may include the development and transportation of water from Red Gap Ranch from outside Flagstaff, near Winslow.
This was in stark contrast to Friends of Flagstaff’s Future public statement;
“we would prefer to see our growth limited to the water capacity we can generate through efficiency, conservation, reuse and rain water harvesting”
RESOLUTION NO. 2013-_____
A RESOLUTION OF THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF FLAGSTAFF, ARIZONA
CONCERNING ARIZONA’S IMMIGRATION DISCUSSION
WHEREAS, the community of Flagstaff is directly and indirectly affected by the lack of adequate federal action on comprehensive immigration reform with resultant negative impact on families, economics, schools, and law enforcement; and
ACKNOWLEDGING the previous public statements by cities, communities, businesses and individuals (locally and statewide) which support the Arizona Accord and other such public statements calling for comprehensive immigration reform by groups such as the Arizona Chamber and the Flagstaff 40;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF FLAGSTAFF AS FOLLOWS:
We thereby call on our federal representatives to enact federal immigration reform that reflects these basic, essential principles:
– The essential economic role immigrants play as workers and taxpayers in our meeting our nation’s workforce needs, while simultaneously protecting all – workers. safe policies families that are support the foundation family unity of and successful families’ communities. abilities to work We – productively and contribute in safety to our community. Immigrants and their families in our community need a way to become fair path toward legal status and citizenship for those who want to contribute to this country’s wellbeing.
News Story Links
Flag council restores more plowing for two months of year: http://azdailysun.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_0ca1e8b0-25a9-11e3-91df-001a4bcf887a.html
NAZ Today interview (starts 30 seconds in)