Some appear to be pushing a myth that Council is divided, despite 94% of votes before Council passing by 5-2, 6-1 and 7-0 VOTES.
The wording in this week’s Daily Sun question of the week only added to this false narrative.
Daily Sun Question of the Week.
“The city council has seen many recent 4-3 votes. Do you think there should be more consensus on council, and if so, what strategies would you use to encourage it? If not, why not?”
To say Council has “seen many recent 4-3 votes” is absolutely inaccurate. The facts simply do not back this up. Not even close!
Of the 239 votes cast this year, ONLY 6%(18 votes) were 4-3. When broken down even further it only amounts to 10 ITEMS.
81% unanimous votes and 94% 5-2 or greater is a LOT of consensus.
The 10 items voted on: Eliminate specialty appointments, removing CUP requirement for student housing (unanimous vote later reversed this), recess into executive session, carbon tax resolution, request to rearrange agenda order, request to end lobbying efforts to change a state law, 1 board of adjustment appointment, HUB, Water rates, Budget & tax levy.
HERE’S MORE DETAIL ON THE 10 ITEMS in 8 MONTHS that COUNCIL VOTED 4-3 ON. That’s right, ONLY 10 ITEMS.
(1) 1/5 Elimination of Specialty Appointments on Commissions. Passed 4-3 with Brewster, Evans, Oravits opposed.
(2) 2/2 Zoning Code Amendments removing CUP requirement for student housing passed 4-3, Barotz, Evans, Putzova opposed, unanimous vote on 2/16 reversed this, keeping requirement for CUP.
(3) 2/2 Request to recess into executive session passed 4-3, Nabours, Oravits, Overton opposed.
(4) 2/2 Carbon tax resolution failed 4-3 with Barotz, Evans, Putzova in favor.
(5) 2/16 request to rearrange the order of the agenda passed 4-3, Barotz, Evans, Putzova opposed.
(6) 2/16 request to end lobbying efforts to change state law regarding requirement for architectural stamp passed 4-3, Nabours, Oravits, Overton opposed.
(7) 3/1 board of adjustment appointment passes 4-3, Barotz, Evans, Putzova opposed.
(8) 3/1 HUB vote passes 4-3, Barotz, Evans, Putzova opposed
3/22 HUB 2nd read failed 4-3, Barotz, Evans, Putzova opposed, super majority needed.
(9) 4/5 new water rates pass 4-3, Barotz, Evans, Putzova opposed
4/19 new water rates 2nd read pass 4-3, Barotz, Evans, Putzova opposed.
(10) 6/21 budget & tax levy passes 4-3 with Barotz, Evans, Putzova opposed
7/5 tax levy 2nd read passes 4-3 Barotz, Evans, Putzova opposed.
As you see, the same three are not always on the losing side. I’ve been on the losing side.
So to those pushing a false narrative about the divisiveness of this Council, 10 items in the past 8 months, are you looking for 100% consensus?
These are the facts. You be the judge! Partisan, divisive, non collaborative? Or are we just representing a broad constituency of nearly 70,000 and occasionally disagree? The answer is pretty obvious to me.