Come on out and talk with Mayor Nabours, Councilman Oravits & Brewster and Candidate Odegaard.
UPCOMING CANDIDATE DEBATES
8/29 5:30PM at the Mayor (KAFF Debate)
8/31 5:30PM at Little America (Chamber of Commerce/Realtors Debate)
Personnel Board Appointment
7-0 Agreement with GFR partners (Summit Fire District, Highland Fire District and Ponderosa Fire District) for the FEMA AFG Regional Training Grant totaling $186,395 of which 10% is from matching funds by GFR partners (City of Flagstaff’s share is $9,727)
AZ State Forestry Division Cooperative Intergovernmental Agreement
7-0 It’s purpose is to cooperatively work together (City and State) to train for, detect, secure equipment, and respond to wildfires. There is no cost to the City.
This allows easements for underground electric lines. The easements will encumber a portion of the property located at 2843 West Shamrell and 3051 West Shamrell Boulevard at the Flagstaff Airport, and a portion of the property at Wheeler Park
7-0 Resolution Read
7-0 Resolution Adopted
August 16, 2016, 6PM Council Meeting
The 6PM meeting usually has items on it that may have a greater public interest.
Council usually has voting MEETINGS the first and third of every month.
All 7 members present.
15 Votes Total. (13) 7-0, (1) 4-3, (1) 5-2
2 F.A.I.R. Items proposed. 2 advanced.
(FAIR items require a minimum of four members support to advance to a future meeting)
GREAT JOBS AND ECONOMIC DATA FOR FLAGSTAFF
INFO FROM KAFF
Building 3 has been leased by United States Geological Survey under the administration of the General Services Administration (GSA) since 1974. The lease for Building 3 will be expiring December 31, 2016. At this time GSA would like to extend the existing lease agreement until December 31, 2019.
7-0 Resolution Adopted
Purina Odor Mitigation & FUTS
7-0 In plain speak, Purina has received a tax abatement since 1978. That was scheduled to end in 2015. We agreed to extend it two more years, a total of $800,000 and they have agreed. 2017 will mark the end of tax abatements for Purina. With the $800,000 in tax savings Purina will invest about $4,000,000 total in odor mitigation and a FUTS trail. Second and final read is September 6th.
- Seek legislation to create the Economic Development Reimbursement Authority (EDRA) system for infrastructure and improvements. Surprise 7-0
- Amend statute to authorize retention and detention basin improvement districts to levy and expend money to operate, maintain, repair and improve retention and detention basins within a municipality. Yuma 7-0
- Create workable, mutually beneficial construction sales tax reform. League 7-0
- Simplify the re-zoning language for cities and towns to reflect the more direct county language. I take this as trying to clarify the process of neighboring properties to a rezone case. Example, the HUB. I supported it with the understanding that if we see Legislation being proposed that diminishes property rights, we oppose it. I think the intent is to make the process more clear and as long as it stays that way it will continue to have my support. Sedona 4-3, Barotz, Evans, Putzova opposed.
- Seek legislation to remove any limitation or penalty in accessing PSPRS retirement benefits as the member is transitioning into a job reassignment as an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Surprise 7-0
- Design legislation to improve the county island annexation process without undue burden to any one party. Sierra Vista, Yuma 7-0
- Revise and update the disincorporation statutes. League 7-0
- Explore options that create funding solutions and/or financing authority to deal with PSPRS unfunded pension liabilities. League 7-0
- Support the presence of military installations. Sierra Vista 5-2, Barotz and Putzova opposed.
Self Insurance Trust Fund
7-0 The proposed changes to the Self-Insurance Trust Fund ordinance will require the City Council to appoint a Board of Trustee (versus having the Audit Committee Members serving as Trustees) and will help clarify the roles of the Trustees, consistent with Arizona Revised Statutes 11-981 related to establishing trust funds. FINAL VOTE SEPTEMBER 6th.
FUTURE AGNEDA ITEM REQUESTS (FAIR Items)
ADVANCED Future Agenda Item Request (F.A.I.R.): A request by Councilmember Putzova to place on a future agenda a discussion re Thorpe Park and the steps needed to keep open space designation into the future.
ADVANCED AS A REPORT TO COUNCIL Future Agenda Item Request (F.A.I.R.): A request by Mayor Nabours to place on a future work session agenda a discussion re zoning/sign codes related to donation bins.
AUGUST 16, 2016 EXECUTIVE SESSION
Executive session is for Council to receive confidential legal advice.
All 7 members present
Link to Agenda
- Nestle Purina Lease Agreement
- Use of retail development tax incentive agreement for economic development activities under A.R.S. 9-500.11.
paid for by Jeff4Flagstaff